Keiji is a young, fun-loving, wild wanderer. Though he is the nephew of Toshiie Maeda, he isn't tied down to the Maeda clan. He is very close to Toshiie and his auntie Matsu, though Toshiie believes him to be immature. Keiji believes in the power of love, and is frequently seen dancing merely for the joy of it. Keiji has a great fondness for sake. He travels with his famous mount Matsukaze and his pet monkey Yumekichi. In battle, Yumekichi is able to fetch things at Keiji's command, usually things that can aid him. On rare occasions, however, the devilish little monkey may return with something that induces a negative status or even dangerous, like a bomb.
At one time, Keiji had a friendship with Hideyoshi, but this had been strained by Hideyoshi's thirst for power and ended when he killed Keiji's first love, Nene. To add insult to injury, when he finally encountered Hideyoshi again in Sengoku BASARA 2, the towering giant dismissed the whole thing as trivial.
In Onimusha Blade Warriors, his name is Keijiro instead of Keiji.
(As of Samurai Heroes)
- First Love - Keiji's basic weapon.
- Punch-drunk Love - 5% chance of extra wind based attack damage.
- Unconditional Love - BASARA gauge fills quicker than normal.
- True Love - 10% chance of extra wind based attack damage.
- Love That Binds - flourishes sword about, taking down enemies.
- Diplomacy Of Love - cancels attacks and movements. Cancelled attack determines what can be performed after.
- Conviction - dashes forward with sword. (Unlocked at Level 5)
- Love At First Sight - attaches sheath to sword, unleashes heavy blow. (Unlocked at Level 15)
- Walking On Air - Keiji takes a nap to slowly recover health. (Unlocked at Level 20)
- Love Letter - calls his monkey Yumekichi to bring a random item. The item could be beneficial or harmful. (Unlocked at Level 30)
- Keiji, after meeting and beating Yukimura Sanada for the first time in Sengoku BASARA 2, makes yet another of his remarks about the power of love: "Love's a good thing, you know? Makes people stronger...much stronger. You (Yukimura) look like you haven't even had your first love, anyway."
- Keiji seems to have eyes for Magoichi, although she regards the notion of a romance between them as highly unlikely.
- In Sengoku BASARA 4 Sumeragi, Keiji has a DLC alternate costume that has him dressed as Chris Redfield in Resident Evil 5.