Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Maki, art by GENZO.
|Full Name||Maki Genryusai|
|Height||5'6" (169 cm)|
|Weight||115 lbs (52 kg)|
|Likes||Motorcycles, her family, Carlos, Guy, tapioca, fighting|
|Dislikes||Waiting for anyone, Mad Gear Gang, Retu, troublesome matters, girl treatment matters|
|Measurements (Bust, Waist, Hip)||85cm (33"), 60cm (23"), 88cm (34")|
|Fighting Style||Bushin-ryu Ninjutsu|
Maki Genryusai (源柳斎 真紀 Genryūsai Maki ), more commonly known simply as Maki (マキ Maki ) is a video game character in the Final Fight series of beat em' up games and the Street Fighter series of fighting games. Designed as a speedy ninja along the same lines as Guy, Maki made her first appearance in Final Fight 2 where she is fighting alongside Mike Haggar and Carlos Miyamoto, essentially replacing Guy in that game.
She returned from a long time of absence and obscurity in Capcom vs. SNK 2, which made Maki notable for being the only original character from the Final Fight sequels to make return appearances in later games. Her profile in Final Fight 2 states that she is 20 years old by then.
Maki is a stark contrast in comparison to her sister Rena, being taller and blonde. Her hair tends to be long and held back in a ponytail, her bangs a lighter color than the rest. She wears a red female ninja garb. The top part of her outfit appears to have a halter neckline, with a wire mesh shirt and showing much of her back. Underneath the skirt of her outfit, Maki appears to be wearing matching panties. She wears arm and leg guards with boots. Her alternate palette in Final Fight 2 changes her outfit color from red to blue.
Since Capcom vs SNK 2, Maki was significantly revamped in terms of outfit and weaponry: she now wears red tennis shoes like the ones worn by Guy in the Street Fighter Alpha series and wields a tonfa, which was originally a pick-up weapon in Final Fight 2. Her hair is shown to be one complete color now, the leg guards are removed, and the shirt part of her attire is now closed, covering her back and more of her shoulders.
An image of Maki (along with her sister and Guy) in more casual attire exists from Capcom, they all stand in front of Maki's motorcycle. Here, Maki wears a black leather halter top that buttons up near her neck and presumably her waist, black biker-style gloves, yellow baggy pants fastened by a black rope, and a long pink bandanna. Her hair isn't tied back in this design and is more of an auburn color retaining the brighter highlights for her bangs, and appears to be crimped.
Maki is best described as a hot-blooded tomboy who loves to get into street fights, staying true to her past as a delinquent. She also acts very cocky and confident towards her opponents, as shown with her taunting them after winning. She dislikes the fact that Guy became the 39th master of Bushin-ryu, thinking she deserved it more than he did and wanting to take the title herself.
Sometime after their defeat in the past, the group called Mad Gear are back on a worldwide scale under Retu's leadership. To take revenge on Guy, the Mad Gear gang starts with kidnapping both Genryusai and Rena - Maki's father and sister. With Guy (Rena's fiancé and Genryusai's student) off training and unable to help, Maki enlists the help of Haggar and Carlos Miyamoto. The three embark on a global search to look for her family's whereabouts and save them while dissolving all of Mad Gear's groups during their journey.
When Maki and the rest arrived in Italy, Maki fought against Rolento. After defeat, Rolento told the trio that her family was being held hostage by Retu in Japan. Maki rushed back to Japan to rescue her family, but are have to beat Retu first. During the final battle with the new leader, Maki fought to defeat him and did to the point that he was kicked with so much strength that one powerful blow sent him flying out of the window. With Retu apparently dead and Mad Gear once again dissolved, Maki finally saved her family.
Maki's story from Capcom vs. SNK 2 is somewhat expanded upon: she is trying to track down Guy and fight him to settle which of them is the true successor of the Bushin style after the death of her father. However, she lands right in the middle of Guy's affairs with Shadaloo. Maki and Guy fought regardless, but stopped abruptly when both of them sensed the presence of the evil Guy was tasked to vanquish: M. Bison. Maki goes and fights Bison, but is soon overwhelmed when he starts to fight with full power. But before Bison delivers the final blow, Guy suddenly intervenes and manages to drive Bison away. After spouting some irritation towards Guy, she grudgingly thanks him but says that they will continue their fight next time. After Guy leaves, Maki states that she might not be ready to take charge yet, but she will be when she and Guy meet again and that she would win.
Crossover appearances Edit
As mentioned above, Maki made her long time return in Capcom vs. SNK 2 as a playable character. After her father Genryusai passes away, Maki is trying to find and defeat Guy in order to become the next master of Bushin-ryu. Despite looking for him however, her ending states that Maki was unable to do so, but that she will see him someday.
Sakura Ganbaru! Edit
Maki also made a prominent appearance in a Street Fighter manga titled Sakura Ganbaru by Masahiko Nakahira, in which she and Sakura fought each other in a tournament. In this appearance, she's shown more akin to her later character design in terms of the shirt and weapon choice.
Maki appeared in the Sakura Ganbaru! manga years before her actual comeback in the games. The same happened with Eagle in Nakahira's Street Fighter Alpha manga. Both made their comeback in Capcom vs. SNK 2 with slight redesigns inspired by their manga appearances.
Street Fighter cartoon Edit
She also has made an non-speaking cameo in the Street Fighter cartoon along with Carlos, cheering in the stands.
Cameo Appearances Edit
Maki can be seen in the Japan stage of Capcom Fighting Evolution.
Maki's moveset was expanded significantly since Capcom vs SNK 2 while also retaining some trademarks from Final Fight 2; like the Reppukyaku, a spin-kick which takes health from her upon usage.
Like Guy, she is reliant on two important things: speed and mobility. She has two kinds of manual dashes like the Hayagake]] and Saka Hayagake; both of which have different effects. Combined with her wallmoves like the Hassoukyaku, Maki is leaning on hit-and-run attacks which makes her an effective zoner character.
Abilities (Final Fight 2) Edit
- Jump Kick - Press jump, then attack. Maki's kick will always knock the opponent down if it hits them.
- Flying Kick - Hold left or right and press jump, then press the attack button. Will knock the opponent down if it hits.
- Off The Wall Jump Kick - Jump towards a wall, then as Maki comes into contact with it, press the jump button again. Maki will jump off the wall and deliver a powerful flying kick.
- Elbow Drop - While jumping, hold down and press the attack button. Maki will hit the opponent from above and stun them. This is a useful move because while the opponent is briefly stunned, Maki can grab them for a throw.
- Knee Bash - Grab the opponent and press the attack button. Maki will knee the opponent in the head. Can be done up to three times, the third hit always does the most damage on standard enemies.
- Shoulder Throw - Grab the opponent, hold left or right and then press the attack button. Maki will throw her opponent over her shoulder.
- Gale Wind Kick (Reppukyaku) - Maki's Special Attack. Using one of her arms, she will spin around a couple of times to kick the opponent, sending them flying back.
Abilities (Capcom vs. SNK 2) Edit
- Maki's rival battle with Sakura in Street Fighter Alpha 3 is an easter egg towards the Sakura Ganbaru! manga, where the two have fought each other.
- In the handheld ports of Street Fighter Alpha 3, Maki asks Cody if he is familiar with Guy before inquiring on his whereabouts. This suggests that she has never met Cody before or, at the very least, does not know him very well.
- In the handheld ports of Street Fighter Alpha 3, Maki shares a special intro upon encountering Rolento: Rolento throws a knife at her, but she swats it away and shields herself against a grenade. Maki asks Rolento if he even tries, and then they begin to fight.
- In the manual for the English localization of Final Fight 2, Maki's intended origin as a former delinquent with a fiery temperament was erased in favor of describing her as a peaceful individual who hates fighting. Capcom vs. SNK 2 went back to her original personality description, and she has stayed that way since.
- Maki's surname was mistakenly written as 源柳斉 in the Japanese Final Fight 2 manual.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Street Fighter: World Warrior Encyclopedia Hardcover
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Street Fighter V Character Encyclopedia: Maki Genryusai
For more of this character, see their gallery.