Maximo's gameplay is characterized by "hack and slash" and platforming, as well as an armor system borrowed from the Ghosts 'n Goblins games, where damage is reflected by loss of armor. Maximo begins the game with two levels of armor (full armor without a helmet), and can upgrade to three and four (with helmet and golden armor, respectively). The lowest level has Maximo reduced to his boxer shorts.
An element of gameplay different from Ghosts to Glory is the Grim transformation, allowing the player to turn into a Grim Reaper with the souls gathered from the Army of Zin for short periods of time. Grim is invulnerable, powerful, and a bit faster than Maximo. The limited time spent in this form can be extended through upgrades.
Maximo also receives bonuses from villagers that he saves from enemies in the game, which could be anything from new armor to keys that unlock gates or chests.
- Tinker - is a master inventor residing in Oakmead Hollow. She is the brave soul who initially runs to seek out Maximo's assistance when the Zin first begin attacking. She is currently assigned to a top-secret project commissioned by Lord Bane.
- Crank - Tinker's robotic sidekick. Crank was probably built at the command of Lord Bane for combat, but, for whatever reason, is instead used by Tinker as a personal assistant.
- Baron Hawkmoor - the direct descendant of the infamous Morgan Hawkmoor who sealed himself in the Great Vault 500 years ago. The younger Baron has battled Maximo in the past, and is the reason for the nasty scar Maximo sports on his face. To say the two share their disagreements is an understatement of royal proportions.
- Elizabet - the friendly and beautiful wife of the Baron. Maximo cares for Elizabet as a close friend, much to the dismay of her husband.
- Lord Bane - the ultimate boss in the game, King Achille returns from Ghosts to Glory as a vengeful ghost inhabiting the cursed armor known as Lord Bane.
- In the Final Fight spin-off game Final Fight: Streetwise, Tinker appears in Metro City on a poster for a hammer company.