The Red Arremer (レッドアリーマー Reddo Arīmā) is an enemy from the Ghosts 'n Goblins series of run and gun platformer games. A Red Arremer is a fictional demon who originally appeared in the arcade game Ghosts 'n Goblins as one of the first strong enemies encountered by Arthur.
The Red Arremer is also the mascot of the Ghosts 'n Goblins series, usually in the logo engulfed in blue flames, and an independent Red Arremer called Firebrand starred in his own spin-off series that consisted of Gargoyle's Quest, Gargoyle's Quest II and Demon's Crest.
There are four kinds of Red Arremers: normal, King, Ace and Joker. King is the same as normal but wears armor, while Ace can breath fire and Joker has armor and a horn on its head.
In the game Demon's Crest, the Red Arremer Firebrand has access to five different forms besides his normal appearance. He gains these forms by collecting crests.
- Earth - In this form, Firebrand cannot fly. However, he gains the ability to dash and destroy obstructions in his path. He also can emit a strong breath attack that turns into an energy wave as soon as it touches the ground.
- Aerial - In this form, Firebrand's wings are much stronger, so he can fly without problems, even in strong gusts. His legs, however, are fragile, so he cannot cling to walls as he normally can. His breath attack is a powerful air blade that kills enemies.
- Tidal - Obviously stronger in the water, this form does not measure up nearly as well on dry land.
- Legendary - While in this form, Firebrand has control over time and can return to his former state years before the game starts. His skin is harder, withstanding more attacks and his breath now usually kills lesser enemies with one shot.
- Ultimate - A composite of Earth, Aerial, Tidal and Legendary all in one, the Ultimate form also comes with a chargeable breath attack.
Apparently, Firebrand is an Ace class Red Arremer, seeing as how he can breath fire in his normal form, as others of his kind do.
Other appearances Edit
The winged devil has also appeared in Namco X Capcom. In the latter, a Joker is seen as one of the main henchmen for the villains and in particular Astaroth. References to this Joker hint at his having been the hero in a struggle called the "War of the Crest", heavily implying that he is in fact the playable Red Arremer Firebrand from the Gargoyle's Quest / Demon's Crest series.
The Red Arremer appears in the trailer for Ghosts N' Goblins Online.
- In some older English localizations, this creature is often called Red Reamer or Red Devil.
- As a servant of Astaroth, Firebrand is a hero for Makai rather than a villain, as he is known to Arthur.