Sengoku Basara 4 is the fourth game in the Sengoku BASARA series of action strategy games. It was released for the PlayStation 3 on January 23, 2014 exclusively in Japan. The game apparently takes place in a parallel world set in the Muromachi period (the time before the Sengoku period began). Because of this, a lot of characters from earlier games in the series return. Sengoku BASARA 4 was produced by Hiroyuki Kobayashi and directed by Makoto Yamamoto. For this game, character design was passed to Tooru Ookubo, instead of Makoto Tsuchibayashi.
In 2015, an expansion titled Sengoku BASARA 4 Sumeragi was released in Japan.
- Hanbei Takenaka
- Haruhisa Amago - (as a Roulette appearance only in Sumeragi)
- Hideaki Kobayakawa
- Hideyoshi Toyotomi
- Ieyasu Tokugawa
- Kanbe Kuroda
- Kanetsugu Naoe - (playable only in Sumeragi during Roulette)
- Kasuga - (playable only in Sumeragi)
- Keiji Maeda
- Kenshin Uesugi - (playable only in Sumeragi)
- Kojūrō Katakura
- Kotaro Fūma
- Magoichi Saica
- Masamune Date
- Matsu Maeda - (playable only in Sumeragi)
- Matsunaga Hisahide
- Mitsuhide Akechi/Tenkai
- Mitsunari Ishida
- Motochika Chōsokabe
- Motonari Mōri
- Muneshige Tachibana
- Musashi Miyamoto - (as a Roulette enemy only in Sumeragi)
- Nagamasa Azai
- Nobunaga Oda
- Nōhime - (cameo)
- Ranmaru Mori - (cameo)
- Sasuke Sarutobi
- Shingen Takeda - (playable only in Sumeragi)
- Sōrin Ōtomo
- Tadakatsu Honda
- Toshiie Maeda - (playable only in Sumeragi)
- Yoshiaki Mogami
- Yoshihiro Shimazu
- Yoshitsugu Ōtani
- Yukimura Sanada
- Katsuie Shibata
- Maria Kyogoku - (playable only in Sumeragi)
- Sakon Shima
- Sen no Rikyū - (debuting and playable only in Sumeragi)
- Matabei Gotō - originally a warrior in the Kuroda forces, now he drifts around Japan with no master. Matabei is very proud and holds a strong grudge against anyone who wounds his pride, vindictively stalking them and writing their name in his mark book.
- Shikanosuke Yamanaka - a retainer of the Amago family. Shikanosuke is a boy who is traveling in search of Haruhisa Amago. Unfortunately, his detective skills haven't yet matured and he frequently leaps to the wrong conclusion. He's accompanied by a deer called Oyassan.
- Yoshiteru Ashikaga - (playable only in Sumeragi) - The 13th Ashikaga shogun who longs for heated battles. He relinquishes the shogun rule back to the heavens, which in turn causes the Sengoku Genesis. He has a prominent role in the game, appearing in multiple drama routes as the last boss for the character in question and is likely the hardest boss in the game. Ashikaga’s weapon of choice is a scepter that has the ability to transform into other weapons.
Players will be accompanied by a partner at all times who can be given commands by holding L2 and dragging a circle toward the desired target. This can be used on enemies, boxes, bases, etc. This ally can also be tagged after they reach level 50, by pressing the R3 button. If tagged mid-combo, characters will immediately perform an attack upon switching to continue the chain. When both the player and his/her partner's BASARA gauges are full, and if they are standing close enough to each other, pressing L2 + Circle will activate a Giga BASARA attack. Ink sprays up from the ground to attack all surrounding enemies.
Also, characters level up in the midst of battle, and can utilize newly learned skills on the spot. Camps may have up to three levels, unlike in Samurai Heroes where there was only one. To destroy these, the player must defeat commanders on every level. Weapons can be enhanced with certain stats or upgraded to new limits, using either a whetstone, a fortune hammer, or tamahagane steel items. They can also be combined to increase their potency and/or create different effects.
Sengoku BASARA 4 SumeragiEdit
Sengoku BASARA 4 Sumeragi is the expansion to Sengoku BASARA 4, released summer 2015 on both Playstation 3 and Playstation 4 consoles. There are some new features added to the gameplay. "Sumeragi" is translated to Emperor in English, signifying that the game mostly revolves around the character of Yoshiteru Ashikaga.
Stages now have 'roulette camps' or 'roulette troops' which, as the name suggests, activate a roulette. The following outcomes have been observed:
- Black (変化,Transforming):
- Transform into a bomb trooper. Enemies killed in this form will drop Tenka Medals.
- Transform into Kanetsugu. Enemies killed in this form will drop Tenka Medals.
- Transform Motochika's Akatsukimaru. Enemies killed in this form will drop Tenka Medals.
- Red (天貨,Tenka):
- Enemy Tenka Medal troops appears. These enemies will drop Tenka Medals when killed.
- Special enemy Haruhisa Amago appears. He will drop Tenka Medals every first hit after he emerges from sand.
- Skull (罰天,Punishment)
- Miyamoto Musashi appears. Drops Tenka Medals when defeated.
- Bomb rains. Enemies killed while this effect is active will drop Tenka medals.
- Player character is hit on the head and angels will retrieve his/her soul. Analog stick prompt appears. Successfully performing the analog prompt will reward players with Tenka Medals
- Gold (天金,Gilt )
- Tenka Medals rain. Additional Tenka Medals can be acquired by defeating enemies.
Stages with Roulette camps/troops will have a breakable green box, which when broken will affect the colors of the next roulette wheel depending on the contents of the box. Red/Blank arrow from the box will change all non-gold colors to red/black. Gold arrow from box will change all sections of the roulette to gold. Purple arrow will increase the skull sections in the roulette.
Tenka Medals can be traded in the shop for various items from four categories: Costumes, Weapons, Techniques, and Speech. There are 167 rewards in total.
Skills gained from Tenka Medal rewards are activated with L1+Square.
When importing save data, characters already level 50 or higher will already have these skill revisions unlocked.
When the R3 button is depressed, the player may switch back and forth between the character they picked and the character's partner in battle.